
The Old Schoolhouse located directly behind Fletcher Lounge and facing the side of Sykes is often passed by and overlooked by students. Basically the reason it’s still standing is because it’s registered as a historical landmark. But tucked away in its corner of campus, the schoolhouse seems out of place in front of the towering minarets of Plant Hall. UT FYI took time to read the informative sign and did some extra digging to find out the story behind the schoolhouse.
General Jesse Carter, a pioneer mail contractor who was in charge of the state troops during the Third Seminole War built the Schoolhouse in 1855. He built the schoolhouse near his other estates for his daughter, Josephine, and several other children in the area.
The first schoolteacher was named Mrs. Louisa Porter and the first class had 7 girls in it including Josephine. Later, after being sold, a baby was born inside the schoolhouse in October of 1875.
In 1886, Henry Plant brought the property for the luxurious Tampa Bay Hotel. After becoming a part of the hotel, it was used as an apothecary shop.
The schoolhouse was presented to the DeSoto Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution in 1931. The original location of the schoolhouse was actually down by in Plant Park closer to the river but it was moved to its current location at this time.
The interior and the exterior of the schoolhouse have been restored but inside there are still relics of it’s historic past such as a piano and a spinning wheel.
The schoolhouse was formally named to the National Register of Historic places on August 28, 1975 and the historical marker in front was places on George Washington’s birthday in 1983.
Today, the schoolhouse is used by DAR members to hold their meetings and occasionally the school will hold tours where people can look inside.
Want a question answered by UT FYI? Send your question about anything UT or Tampa related to ut.minaret@gmail.com
